Youth Offenders
Juveniles (persons who are under the age of 17) If you are classified as a Juvenile under Texas State law and changed with a traffic or criminal violation, you must appear in Court with a parent or legal guardian. You may also bring a lawyer, however the presence of your parent or legal guardian is still required. You may view your open cases online at our online court records site.
  • Juveniles who fail to appear as ordered may have an additional charge of Failure to Appear filed against them.
  • Juveniles who fail to appear or fail to pay their fine will be reported to DPS who will suspend or deny issuance of a driver's license.
  • If a Juvenile disobeys a court order, the court may order DPS to suspend or deny the issueance of a driver's license of find the child in contempt and assess a fine not to exceed $500. If non-traffice offense, the court may refer the case to juvenile court for contempt.
  • Juveniles who are now 17 years of age that failed to appear at the date and time stated on thier summons may, after careful consideration and deemed accountable by the Judge, have a warrant issued for their arrest.
Minor (persons who are over 16 years of age but under 21 years of age) Any person under the age of 21 charged with alcohol or tobacco violations must appear in open court. You may view your open cases online at our online court records site.
What can you expect when you come to court?
  • You may contest the citation by pleading not guilty to the charge filed against you. If you plead not guilty you must decide whether or not you want a trial by Judge(bench trial) or by jury. Your trial will not be held the same day. Your case(s) will then be set for a trial date at  which time you may present your case to the court. At your trial a Judge or Jury will hear the evidence and determine if you are guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
  • You may agree with the violation and enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the charge(s). You should be prepared to pay the fine at the time you are found guilty.
  • You may enter a plea of guilty or no contest and request community service hours in lieu of paying a fine. You may ask the Judge to assign your case for community service in lieu of paying a fine. The number of hours you work is determined by the amount of the fine and the violation itself. Typically, community service hours will involve projects such as the clean-up city parks, city buildings, non-profit organizations, as well as many others.

Address Notification: You and your parent or guardian are required by law to provide the court, in writing, your current address and residence. If your place of residence changes, you have 7 days to notify the court, in writing, of your new address and residence. Failure to keep the court informed of your new residence may result in a Failure to Appear and Failure to Notify charges filed against both you and your parent or guardian. The obligation of keeping the court informed of your current address and residence is required until your case in finalized or terminated.